Barbados is a very safe destination, however it is always wise to ensure you plan carefully and take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and property; to ensure you have an enjoyable experience.
Here are just a few tips:
- Make sure you travel with a valid passport or visa (if required). Also, bring another valid form of photo I.D., and photocopies of both I.D.'s in case of loss or theft.
- Persons seeking to obtain a Barbados driver's license should travel with a valid National or International license. All authorized car rental companies can issue you a driver's license.
- Give friends and family your contact information and itineraries in case of emergency. Additionally, you can register with your country’s embassy or consulate before you travel; that way your country is aware of your whereabouts.
- Keep luggage, handbags or backpacks in view at all times and keep your possessions close to your body.
- Don't take around large amounts of cash; credit cards and travelers cheques are more secure alternatives.
- Read up on local laws and practices before you get here, or as a start, you can peruse our 'Before you Travel' and 'Things to Know' sections.
- Only use taxis, tours and other transportation services with official markings. Only select transportation from official pickup points at transportation hubs.